The official end of summer may be upon us, but the hot and humid weather is sticking around and we all know what that means for our hair! So, take advantage of Volume Hair Studio’s Keratin Treatment Summer Sale before it ends on Saturday, August 30, 2014. Sale price: $250, that’s a $75 savings from the regular price of $325.
Keratin Hair Treatments: What to Expect
New keratin-based treatments may save you hours each day.
By Denise Mann
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD
Longing for smoother, straighter hair? Keratin hair-straightening treatments are a popular option at salons.
If you’re thinking about trying it, you should know this:
• What Is Keratin? It’s a protein that’s naturally in your hair.
• How It Works: A stylist applies a keratin hair-straightening product to your hair and then uses the heat of a flat iron to seal it in. The process takes about 90 minutes or longer, depending on your hair’s length.
• Time-Saving Tresses: If you usually style your hair straight, a keratin hair-straightening treatment could shorten your blow-dry time by 40% to 60%, says hair stylist Henri Borday of New York’s Mizu salon and corporate educator for Global Keratin.
• Farewell, Frizz: You can forget about frizzy hair after treatment. “You could walk out in moist or light rain and your hair won’t change,” Borday says.
• Wait Before You Wash: You shouldn’t wash your hair for three or four days after getting the treatment. That’s because the solution takes time to work, he says.
• Upkeep: After you get a keratin hair treatment, and after the don’t-wash waiting period, you should use sodium-sulfate-free shampoo to help maintain the treatment.
• How Long It Lasts: Expect the results to last two to 2 1/2 months.
“Keratin is more of a restorative treatment,” Borday says. “Even if you have a good hair type, it still strengthens the hair shaft and makes your hair more resilient.”